Lucerne, a beautiful city on the shore of Lake Lucerne and within sight of Mount Pilatus in the famous Swiss Alps, is the host for 1982 Chess Olympiads.
Malaysia again sent a man team but not a woman team.
Malaysia was represented, according to the board order:
1. Jimmy Liew
2. Christie Hon
3. Goh Yoon Wah
4. Choong Yit Chuan
5. Quah Seng Sung
6. Annvar Bin Zainal
For the first time in Olympiad, two of Malaysian player have a FIDE rating (Jimmy 2270, Christie Hon 2235). Top two boards are veteran and the rest 4 are all first timer.
As usual below are top 5 teams and neighbours placing.
1.Soviet Union (Karpov,Kasparov,Polugaevsky,Beliavsky,Tal,Yusupov)
3.United States (Browne,Seirawan,Alburt,Kavalek,Tarjan,Christiansen)
19. The Philippines (Torre,Mascarinas,Maninang,Yap,Cain,Lupian)
27. Indonesia (Ardiansyah,Handoko,Adianto,Milo,Ginting,Fauzi)
43. Singapore (Leow,Wong MK,Chia CS,Chan PK,Tan CK,Lim KA)
54. Thailand (Sinprayoon,Trisa,Chaivichit,Rittiphunyawong,Ruenwongsa,Kavakul)
1. Jimmy Liew (5/13) P=2238
2. Christie Hon (6/13) P=2249
3. Goh Yoon Wah (7/13) P=2285
4. Choong Yit Chuan (8/13 P=2339
5. Quah Seng Sun (0.5/4) P=1903
6. Annvar Bin Zainal Did not play
1. Malaysian team continued to improve. We are now playing at 2253 level, bettered our previous best (Nice 1978’s 2126 performance) by 127 Elo points!
2. Malaysia continued its previous Olympiad Policy of 6th-bord-not-playing. Wonder why? Is it because of the low budget so we have to list down manager as a player? Or is it because we have a very strong top 5 players until our 6th board player do not have a chance to play? Hopefully someone can shed some lights on this!
3. Choong Yit Chuan's performance at 2339 is the best so far for Malaysian at Olympiads, breaking Jimmy Liew's record at 1980 La Valetta Olympiad (2321 performance). He alone (8 points from 13 games) contributed more than 30% of Malaysian points. His score would even been better should he able to convert his nice attacking winning game against Andruet Gilles (France). He lost that game :(
4. Below is Christi Hon's nice win against Juarez Flores (Guatemala) in round 10th.
Postion after 16. ... h6
Sacrifing a knight to open the h-file and to exert more pressure on f6 square.
Position after 21. ... Qc8
Black resign. Stopping annoying Qc6 and preparing the decisive 23. Rah1
Stockfish 14 dilancarkan!
6 months ago