Tournament: 2nd DATCC Individual
Date:1st February 2010
It is the beginning of the last round. Arbiter had just announced player can begin the game. Some players can be seen blitzing his/her opening moves, some players are waiting for their opponents to turn up, some ponders on what defense to use etc, all in all a very normal scene.
Suddenly two players who played at the middle board agreed for a quick draw (GM draw), maybe in less than 10 moves, also actually a very normal scene during the last round. So off they go to the Arbiter's table to submit their mutually agreed short draw result.
Arbiter Najib is about to accept the signed scoresheet of these players when suddenly Arbiter Hamid steps in. He said sorry, he cannot accept the short draw, tear the scoresheet and asked both players to play again the game. Both player went back to their table and played the game till the end.
The big question now. Is arbiter got the right not to accept the short draw. Let's analyze!
- There is no single word mentioning short draws not allowed on the tournament T & C.
- Arbiters also did not verbally mentioned on no draw policy before or during the tournament.
- Both players did not protest Arbiter's decision.
What did chess rules has to say about this?
- Under Article 5 Completion of the game (5.2 C) mentioned "The game is drawn upon agreement between the two players during the game. This immediately ends the game".
- Ofcourse we need to look at Article 9:The drawn game for further guidance. Article 9.1 a mentioned " The rules of a competition may specify that players cannot agree to a draw, whether in less than a specified number of moves or at all, without the consent of the arbiter." Unfortunately as far as i remember, there is no mentioning about this, before or during the tournament.
- On arbiter's defense there are articles 13.2 "The arbiter shall act in the best interest of the competition..."
Based on above i believed that the early draw agreement is valid and arbiter should accept it since it is not made known to the player beforehand that short draws are not allowed.