Nuffnang

Monday, January 31, 2011

REPORT FROM RENEGADE/ HAVE I BEEN TRICKED?

1.Arrived at tournament at about 9.15am. Almost went back since I thought that i went wrongly to some underage tourney. Everybody seems so young with face that never been shaved before ( Sumant is the exception) but i stay on and later saw NM Kamal Ariffin and Mat Zaki Yeop...ok, i’m in the the right tournament.

2.Glad to see Ezmi ‘Agdestein’ Mahmood make a comeback. For those at the tournament hall, he is the big guy with long gold coloured hair and wearing that smiley T shirt. He used to play football representing Kelantan and nearly make it to represent Malaysia. He won the best unrated in this tournament. Ezmi is now eyeing to take part in next month Kelantan’s selection...watch out Farouqi! And Abdullah Che Hassan too!

3. I was seeded no.11 out of nearly 100 players and finished 6th. I am satisfied with my games (especially against Taufiq), satisfied with the placing, satisfied with my time management and also satisfied with my concentration (lucky no Tania around)...All in all, not a bad outing for me.

4. This tournament is well run by Mr Najib and his lovely wife,...err...Mrs Najib. Worth mentioning is Najib did really limiting number of participants for this tournament. Not many organizers are willing to do that. Someone (me!) asked what is the tie break for this tournament, Najib laughed before explaining it in his perfect English...or is it in perfect German? Bulchoz fuehrer BMW autobahn bla, bla, bla...I am not sure.
Also worth mentioning is for the first time the organisers will introduce/pay "appearance fee" for top Malaysian chess player (Mas, Mok, Nicholas) to play in weekend tourney. Good as it is a recognization to country top players, not good if you happen to be no 4th in the country and did not make the cut :)

5. Jianwen is the deserving winner of this tournament. His cute boyish face hiding his merciless killer instinct. A Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde! Chinese New Year’s angpow come early for him...Expect to see more future success by Jianwen. Also expect to see Internal Revenue Board (Income Tax) to start opening one file on Jianwen.

6. Mr Raymond Siew did introduce me to a parent who was at Asean. This parent is so full of positive vibes...it took me by surprise! I half expected that it will be full of complaints to 3 usual suspects/punching bags (1.MCF 2.MCF and 3. MCF) but it did not turn out that way.
Asean? Good outing and good opportunity to know other parents.
Expenses occurred? Supported by PIBG, understand MCF’s constraint.
Lack of training/coaching? Hired personal coach. It is parent’s responsibility.

I hope this is the ‘truth’ that Raymond eagerly wants to show it to me. A satisfied parent that is so full of positive thinking and always see kindness in others. Parent that always see glass half full...

THE SILENCE OF THE.. RATIONALITY. HAVE YOU BEEN TRICKED ILHAM?

1.Raymond Siew posted above posting on 26 January 2011 as a reply to my article dated 25th January 2011 under titled ‘THE SILENCE OF THE...RATIONALITY’. His first 2 sentences mentioning that it looks like Jimmy’s ploy has worked to some degree and i have fallen to it. (I shall not comment on the rest of the sentences of this posting as i do not have enough time to scrutinize it all, enough energy to reply it and enough grasp of English to properly convey what i want to mentioned. Most important i do not want to get 'stalemate' over this issue and i have a respect to Mr Raymond Siew)

2.I selfishly replied by putting a comment on his blog as well as mine, stating that i have read his posting, thanking him for his praise to me and that’s all. I did not comment on his first 2 sentences.

3.I am being unfair to Jimmy and would like to stated here that:
a)I wrote about Rationality. Not about Jimmy, not about parents to junior chess player, not about Asean and not about Mal/Sing.
b)Yes, as a chess player, I was influence by Jimmy. I read and re-read his book, articles, games, blog etc. I read with sadness his decision to retire from International chess in 90’s, fully believe if he continued playing at that time he will be our FGM. Studied French hoping one fine day i will be able to give him a good fight should we ever met. Never. Happy when he became active again lately.
c)But NO, when it come to my posting, I write what i want to write.I did not follow orders from anyone and i don’t think i have fallen to anyone’s ploy. I know this for sure cause i have been with myself over the last 37 years.
d)I am the master of my article, I am the captain of my blog.


INVICTUS

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find me, unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

4 comments:

  1. I have replied you on my blog. Have a good holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You too...have a good holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ilham, you wrote we have never played over the board. But I remember we have played at least one game?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jimmy,
    Yes, you are right we have played one game at DATCC and if i am not mistaken in which you have white pieces.

    What i meant is i have never got white so i could face your French Defense...careful, i have prepared something for you!...:)

    Yeah, the way i convey it on my posting above looks like we have never met across the board...apologise for that

    ReplyDelete