Nuffnang

Sunday, April 11, 2010

BLACKMAR DIEMER GAMBIT (BDG)

The Problems
I do like to be in control. Who don't? My chess opening is therefore always tailored ' to be in control' theme. Some call my repertoire as primitive, coffee shop openings and uncompromising.

But i always have a problems against Scandinavian (1.e4 d5). Suddenly my opponent is in control. He can decide to play gambit or Qd6 or the normal Qa5. White just hopelessly have to follow black's choice of variation. I hate that. Furthermore they are many Scandy players around (Ismail Ahmad, Kamal Ariffin, Hairulov etc). I need to do something.

The Research
I browse through many books, internet, database looking for the correct defense against Scandinavian when suddenly i discovered BDG.
1.e4 d5
2.d4!

My goodness! Never know such an aggresive and brutal opening exist! White seems to play for mate from the first move. Endgame? What animal is that?

The game will normally develop
2. ... de4
3.Nc3 Nf6
4.f3 ef3
5.Nf3

I become the immediate fan of this underrated opening. Now, i am hoping that my opponent play Scandinavian so i can unleash my BDG but the problem is, I hardly encounter Scandy :(

Well, since my opponent did not play Scandy (hence, i could not played my beloved BDG), my only option is to trick my opponent into playing BDG! Instead of playing 1.e4 now i played 1.d4 so if black's reply 1. ... d5 without hesitation i will played 2.e4! BDG.

The Trick
Ofcourse by now i have discovered several tricky move orders to reach BDG ta'biya. Some:
Queens Pawn Game
1. d4 d5
2.e4 de4
3.Nc3 Nf6
4.f3

Indians Game
1.d4 Nf6
2.Nc3 d5
3.e4 de4
4.f3

Caro Kann
1.e4 c6
2.d4 d5
3.Nc3 de4
4.f3

Even from French!
1.e4 e6
2.d4 d5
3.Be3 de4
4.f3

I was blesssed since at Malaysia not many players know the correct defense to BDG. Believe me, if you played 'normally', you may suddenly realized that you are in deep trouble.

But to play BDG you must be prepared either to win brilliantly or lost stupidly. No in between result.

BDG Trivia.
1.Blackmar is from Armand Edward Blackmar (1826-1888) while Diemer is from Emil Josef Diemer (1908-1990)

2.Doctor has once advised Diemer not to play chess because it has cause 'too much of a strain for Diemer's nerves'

3.Diemer was once expect he would win a Nobel Prize for his investigations on Nostradamus.

4.Diemer once send BDG's analysis to whose who of the chess world.

5.BDG, like King's Gambit, has never been clearly refuted.



"At amateurs level, all openings are sound"

No comments:

Post a Comment